Variety is the spice of life, and there is always that can be gained from new experiences. Here are ten fantastic reasons for trying new things:
1. You meet new people. You find people that you didn’t even know existed. Somewhere out there might be a new best friend, soul mate or mentor. You might meet someone that was supposed to fill an exact hole in your life that you didn’t even know you had. You might meet someone that challenges you or that makes you a better person.
2. You learn about other people’s challenges and experiences. If you don’t try anything new you stay in your own little bubble; you are in danger of being oblivious to what’s going on out there. There is good and bad in the world, but you should be a part of it regardless.
3. You exercise your brain. You keep your brain alert by exposing it to new learning experiences, and reduce the chances of conditions such as dementia.
4. You exercise your body. You use parts of your body in ways that it’s never tried before.
5. You become more interesting. You have something new to talk about around the water cooler at outside the school gate. You know something that other people don’t. You become more unique.
6. You might have fun. You open yourself up to the possibility of enjoying something new. This is where the saying ‘You don’t know until you’ve tried it’ comes from. If you are sitting at home doing the same thing over and over again you’ve got nothing to lose by trying something new. You might not like it, but it can’t more boring than just doing what you already know.
7. You can conquer your fears and reduce your anxiety. Anxiety feeds on it itself; if you face what makes you anxious it will never be as bad as you imagine, and this takes away anxiety’s power. You will be calmer and less afraid. Anxiety can make your life smaller by denying you new experiences and all the joy beyond; don’t let it.
8. You develop qualities like humility, perseverance, personal growth, and accomplishment. You learn how difficult things can be. You learn that you don’t know everything. You learn how to overcome challenges and then feel a greater sense of satisfaction when you conquer them.
9. It serves as a great modelling exercise for your children. If you show courage and enthusiasm, grace when making mistakes, and personal growth by trying new experiences your children will learn to do so too. You will help them grow as human beings
10. You take control of your life. Unfortunately new experiences are going to happen to you no matter what, and these will be the ones that you don’t want. Be proactive and take control of your experiences; meet life head on with a smile on your face.
And there are actually a whole lot more reasons why you should be jumping in the deep end. But you don’t need to read anymore; get out there and start living.